In August 2018 the Scottish Government published its new Suicide Prevention Action Plan: Every Life Matters. This sets out ten Actions to help reduce the country’s rate of deaths by suicide. It has a target to reduce the rate by 20% by 2022.
As one of the lead partners in supporting the Scottish Government to achieve its aims, SAMH (Scottish Association for Mental Health) are pleased to invite expressions of interest from people across Scotland to take part in the new National Suicide Prevention: Lived Experience Panel. We are working with our partners Support in Mind, Samaritans Scotland and Penumbra.
The new Lived Experience Panel will provide an important platform for people with lived experience of suicide to share their valuable insights and experiences by working alongside members of the National Suicide Prevention Leadership Group, to implement the ten Actions of Every Life Matters.
We want the Lived Experience Panel to help ensure that:
- People at risk of suicide feel able to ask for help, and have access to skilled staff and well-coordinated support.
- People affected by suicide are not alone.
- Suicide is no longer stigmatised.
- Those bereaved by suicide access better support.
- Through learning and improvement, we minimise the risk of suicide by delivering better services and building stronger, more connected communities.
We want the Lived Experience Panel to include:
- Those who have previously attempted suicide or who have experienced suicidal thoughts/ideas.
- Those who have lost a loved one to suicide.
- Family/loved ones who support someone who experiences suicidal thoughts/ideas.
- People from key risk groups.
- People from a variety of geographical areas and diverse and cultural backgrounds.
- A core group of 10-12 lived experience representatives upon which the NSPLG can call upon to inform their work to deliver the Suicide Prevention Action Plan.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the National Suicide Prevention: Lived Experience Panel or would like more information about it. Please email Livedexperience@samh.org.uk