We all have mental health, just as we have physical health, and it’s important that we take the time to look after it.
Yet YouGov research shows that around a quarter of us never do.
There are lots of things we can do every day to support our wellbeing. The New Economic Foundation suggests the following five ways to better wellbeing.
Staying in touch with loved ones can make us feel happier and more secure; and often just having a chat can help to lift our mood.
- Put five minutes aside to ask someone how they are
- Arrange to meet up with friends that you haven’t seen in a while
- Join a local group or club and meet new people in your community
Being active isn’t just good for our physical health; it’s also proven to have a positive effect on our mental health and wellbeing.
- Go for a short walk at lunchtime
- Discover a physical activity you enjoy and one that suits you
- Try the NHS’s Couch to 5K programme
Whether you’re spending time with friends or taking a moment for yourself, try to stop to take notice and be aware of the present.
- Set aside time to practise mindfulness or take up yoga
- Take notice of how your friends or colleagues are feeling
- Spend time outdoors, enjoy the fresh air and notice what’s around you
Learning enhances your self-esteem and confidence, and can be a great way to meet new people.
- Sign up for a class and learn something new
- Rediscover an old interest, such as cooking or gardening
- Take on a new challenge to make or fix something
Giving can be very rewarding – in fact those who report a greater interest in helping others are more likely to rate themselves as happy.
- Volunteer your time for a cause you are passionate about
- Spend time with someone who you know has been having a difficult time
- Fundraise for us and be part of Team SAMH!