Mental health services for young people

Child and young people deserve to receive the mental health services and support that they require and at a time that they need it.

Some of this support may be available in schools through guidance or pastoral care, school nurses, school based counselling, or others. Speaking to an adult in school can be the first step in getting the right help.

Some children and young people may require what is called specialist support and this will be delivered by CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services). GP’s can make a referral for you to CAMHS, and some schools can refer too.

CAMHS isn’t always the answer, and SAMH is committed to providing early intervention, community based support. Which is why we deliver programmes in schools, colleges and universities; as well as life skills courses for young people with low mood, anxiety, and anger.

Within your wider community other services may be available and you can search for these through

Harry’s Story

Based on a true story: Harry was one of the many children struggling to access mental health support when they needed it the most.

Click the button below to watch Harry's Story


Harry's Story